The feel and smell of a new box of kicks is euphoric to hundreds of sneaker savants. Often the grape vine carries stories of those that have camped out for days, bum rushed, and worked more hours in their lives to attain a pair of shoes that cost about $3.00 to make. Nevertheless, the sneaker culture is alive and well, but the one factor that is a rarity in this urban underground lifestyle is the representation of female sneaker collectors.
Heels and sandals are sought to be the “typical” shoe for women, but it’s much sexier to see a woman in a pair of retro J’s. We’ve highlighted 11 females that have been (and are becoming) a part of the tennis shoe fetish.
Jenesis Magazine’s 11 chicks in kicks:
[Note: There is no particular order in relation to all names listed]
1. Rihanna: She’s no stranger to sneakers. In her debut video “Pon De Replay” she wore low top Chuck Taylors, but in recent years she’s stepped her game up. She’s been spotted in Converse, Nike Blazers and Air Jordans (and we aren’t complaining).
2. Kelis: No stranger to style we aren’t surprised to see Kelis in the Air Jordan 3′s.
3. Rita Ora: You’ve probably seen this Def Jam songstress all over Tumblr. Not only is she a breathe of fresh air musically, but her style is amazing. She’s been spotted in the Jordan 3′s on multiple occassions. Even pairing J’s with a dress. Such a combination conventionally reeks of trashy, but Ora pulls it of effortlessly.
4. Tracee Ellis Ross: As an actress on the hit show Girlfriends Ross was spotted in items like Christian Louboutin and Manolo Blahnik, but after stepping out in the Air Jordan 5′s she’s given a new twist on business casual.
5. Lala Anthony: Lala is no novice to the hip hop culture and her style is more than dynamic. Rocking her New York Knicks Jordan 4′s you can’t deny that she has style and the support for her husband is pretty fly too!
6. Kim Kardashian:…Before any ellaborations on Kim kardashian ensue we must state that we know she isn’t very hip hop, “urban”, or sneaker infatuated. Nevertheless, since she’s been with the hottest artist in the industry her sneaker collection has increased. In only a small amount of time she’s gone from wearing running shoes and white blouses on the red carpet to Jordans and Yeezys. Even if you don’t like her you can’t lie, her game has changed drastically.
7. Va$htie Kola: Known as Downtown’s sweetheart Va$htie is the only woman in the history of Air Jordans to have a personally crafted Jordan sneaker in collaboration with her own fashion line, Violette. If that isn’t enough she had a birthday cake in the embodiment of a huge Jordan 3. Still not convinced? She has her own custom made platformed Nike Air Force 1′s. Her sneaker addition just won’t stop!
8. Teyanna Taylor: Once signed to Star Trak and seen as Pharrell protégé she came in the game rocking Ice Creams, but apparently she wasn’t done styling on other industry associates yet. Soon after her entrance into the hip hop industry she was seen rocking almost every Air Jordan known to man.
9. Ciara: Noted to have rocked sneakers in high school ciara is a pundit of tennis shoe culture. Seen in the Jordan 5′s, 3′s, and 1′s she’s solidified her spot as one of the few celebrity female sneaker fiends.
10. Amber Rose: Ye’ steps up all his lady friends’ shoe games. Even through her mishap with her Nike Fusions we still can’t deny that Amber Rose’s kick collection is ill. Wonder if she got the Yeezys?
11. Cassie: Remember Cassie? In her debut video, “Me And You”, she sported black/metallic gold Jordan 1′s. She’s been spotted in Nike Dunks, Jordan 3′s, Spizikes and Jordan 8′s. The music may not be so memorable, but her shoe game is unforgettable.
Think you’ve got better sneaker taste than these ladies? Tweet us @JENESIS_Mag and show us a picture of you in your flyest kicks!
written by: Persiah A.