Interview by Louie Lopez (@ThatzCrack)
Words by Rockie Fresh
We’ve been keeping a close eye on the artist who’ve been coming out of the Chi. One of the latest making great moves is Rockie Fresh. You may have heard of him. He’s only one of the newest signees to Rick Ross’ Maybach Music Group. With “Electric Highway” releasing on January 21st, we got a chance to talk to him before his 3D Listening Experience of the project in NYC. Here Rockie breaks down the 5 different ways MMG has influence him and his new project.
1. One just my work ethic you know what I’m saying? As far as all the team members go, I always had work ethic when it came to music I didn’t have the resources to work as much as I wanted to cause in Chicago the studios are always booked up and expensive to record. Before I signed with MMG I was recording a lot less because of my financial situation, now it’s one of those things where I’m in the studio all the time, It’s also the amount of songs that I’m trying to knock out per session are based off the way Ross records and how much music he’s able to put out at that level. He’s got 5 albums and getting ready to release his sixth.
2. As far as the touring, I was able to tour with Meek and Wale and just to see how many tours they do it really inspired me to continue to tour and really go head on with having a strong tour fan base and I actually did my first headlining tour after coming off the Meek and Wale tour last year. It was all inspiration for me.
3. Three would be quality. All these guys are giving people quality mixtapes and albums, that’s something that I want to be known for as an artist. Every time I prepare to release something it’s going to be great quality.
4. As far as with music with Electric Highway, I think the situation with MMG has allowed me to speak on things a little more freely because the simple fact that the mind set is different know what I’m saying. Now I have a lot of people looking in my direction, as far as what I have to say is a lot more important as when I was doing Driving 88 it was more so about getting people to notice. So just being able to take that responsibility is something that I feel like Ross, Wale, and Meek Mill do very well, same as Gunplay and Stally. All of them made great uses of their
platforms yet we have so much more to do. I just want to follow in their footsteps and set my platform.
5. The final thing really motivated me to get with MMG is the way that they handle things with the. When you’re a young artist and your trying to get in the game a lot of people tell your all the bad things about a label and want to scare you into thinking that labels are the worst thing ever, but just seeing how Ross handles things and the guys move with the team that has been built around us and how good the relationship is that showed me that as long as you’re making the right music and staying humble you can work out any situation.
Take a listen to Rockie’s collaboration with Rick Ross and Nipsey Hussle: