From turntables to runways we’ve listed 10 fashion forward female DJs. From beginners to veterans here are our most fashionable queens of spinning.
1. Jasmine Solano: Beauty and skill! The Brooklyn spin artist has been making her way through the disc jockee circuit and can happily say she has a strong following. You may know Jasmine from djing at HOT97 events, but did you know she was the street wear sweetheart for Married To The Mob and Rocawear in 2011?
2. Venus X: “Green haired b-tches like Venus on my penis.” Okay so that isn’t the best line about the funky goth DJ, but it describes her statement look. Most noted for her cameo in the A$AP Rocky “Peso” video she’s also the wrecking sets at her infamous Ghe20 Ghoth1k parties. In addition to her scratching abilities she’s been making her way in street fashion. Modeling for brands like Hood By Air, aNYthing and Mishka. She’ll also be appearing in the latest issue of V Magazine along side fashion model/singer (singer?) Cassie.
3. Va$htie: Hypebeast, Paper Mag, Complex, Refinery 29 and Style.com have all featured the Downtown Sweetheart. If that isn’t enough she is the only female with her own Air Jordan. She’s got the style locked down! She’s spun for DKNY and Theophilus London. She can check up-and-coming DJ off her list!
4. Chelsea Leyland: Fashion lovechild Chelsea Leyland has made her mark as the IT girl DJ in the fashion industry. Not only is she one of the go-to DJs for high fashion events, but she is a fashion forward bombshell. Elle, Harper’s Bazaar, MTV, and the “Thursday Styles” section in the NY Times have all seen the trends of Miss Chelsea Leyland. Not only have they seen her fashionable wear, but they’ve all covered her amazing sets as well. Must we say more?
5. Harley Viera-Newton: In early 2011 Harley was signed personally by Jay-Z to Roc Nation. If that doesn’t speak volumes about her turntable skills then what does? She’s graced the pages of Vogue (British, Brazil, and US), Nylon (Mexico), Harper’s Bazaar and NY Magazine. Hermes, Target, and Skullcandy have also hired DJ Harley for their campaigns. Hov picked a good one!
6. Leigh Lezark: Apart of the international DJ trio known as The Misshapes Leigh has spun overseas in Asia, South America and Europe. She’s also played as a supporting DJ to Courtney Love and The Killers. Her resume is amazing, but her fashionable antics are greater. V Magazine, Nylon, Vanity Fair and Vogue (Australian, American, French, Turkish). She’s even modeled for Henry Holland, Gap and Roberto Cavalli for H&M. The list goes on!
7. Solange: Sure she’s the kid sister of megastar Beyonce, but Solange has made her mark on the NY part scene. She may not be the best DJ, yet, but she’s working hard. Nevertheless, as a beginner in the DJ world her fashion sense is that of a veteran. Appearing in European magazines, inking a modeling contract with Next Model Management and strutting her stuff for the Alberta Ferretti Pre-Fall 2012 Show in Milan.
8. Hannah Bronfman: Who said the typical bad ass rich girl couldn’t rock a set? Creeping her way up the party scene ranks Hannah Bronfman not only spins hot shit, but rocks it as well. She’s been dubbed as a vintage queen wearing vintage Chanel, Prada, Versace and Louis Vuitton. She’s also been featured on Refinery 29, Stylelikeu, ToryBuch.com, and in Paper Mag. Oh, she just got a feature in GQ magazine as well.
Any other females DJs that rock their sets and show their fashion sense that you think we should know about? Tweet us at @JENESIS_Mag and let us know!
- P (@LATINEGRAS)